Friday, October 31, 2008

Growing up like Zac

I am really enjoying watching Zac grow up. I haven't known him but for a few short weeks, but I am hooked on his adventure. He will turn 17 soon and is doing things that some of us will never know, let alone seriously contemplate. Would I ever send my son out on the ocean by himself to circumnavigate the globe in a small sailboat? Wow! Actually, I would love to do this myself, but I don't think I would have the courage to send my child out on his own. Am I too protective? Maybe.

Zac is growing up and learning things that most of us will never learn and could never be taught in a classroom. Survival. Pacing. Navigation. Conservation. Communication. Ingenuity. Decisions under stress. How to handle loneliness. Dependence on others. Dependence on self. His inner strength to endure and persevere. He is seeing places first hand that we only read about and see in pictures on the web or in blogs.  It's incredible!

I want my children to learn these same things. But I struggle with the method. The control freak father in me wants to protect them and guide them each step. But the testosterone laden man in me wants them to take risks, learn first hand, maybe even fail some while the consequences are minimal.  But am I willing to let them be tested and take risks when the consequences are high? When their very life depends on their succeeding? No way!

If you were to ask me whether or not I was an "umbrella" parent, I would've said no way. But maybe I am after all. I would love to be on Zac's boat myself. But I would not want to have one of my kids on it! I'm guessing that I'm not weird but just a normal Dad on this. Where is the line when it comes to protecting vs letting them go? I know my wife and I are in different places here - I chalk that up to the general difference between Mom's and Dad's. I push the envelope while Mom holds back. Thank God for Moms!

But Zac isn't pushing the envelope, he's defining a whole new package.  I fully applaud and support his efforts and his parent's. It helps me to realize that doing hard things - larger than life idealistic endeavours, is worthwhile, realistic, and not out of reach.

Thanks Zac for showing me a great way to grow up.


No comments:

 
Lijit Search